Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"Teacher Man" Book Review

As I try to write a review of this book, I realize I've started and stopped and started and stopped several times. I don't really know what to say about it. So- I guess "Teacher Man" by Frank McCourt is not a book that really grabbed me, or one that I would recommend to my friends. In this book, McCourt uses his crass cynicism to share his experiences as a teacher. Through blunt storytelling, he takes the reader on his journey from raw newbie at McKee Vocational and Technical High School in Boston to experienced educator at Stuyvesant High (a successful college prep school). He often climbs atop his soapbox but the message seems too depressed and downtrodden too much of the time.

I thought this book was an interesting read because I've always been intrigued by Irish culture, and McCourt's Irish upbringing is a major influential factor in his life and his career as a teacher. It is a quick and easy read and inspiring in the sense that the reader gets to see just how important the influence of one teacher can be in the life of a student. His strong language and brilliant dialogue place the reader right in the middle of his tales and it is easy to visualize his adventures.

I keep coming back to the fact that the tone is just too negative and depressing. Teaching is a hard, underappreciated profession. When I'm at home and reading to relax, I don't need anyone else to tell me that. I know teaching is hard! I know it's a difficult profession. I guess misery loves company, but I'm really not too interested in hearing McCourt's whining. His experience is really not that remarkable or unique. There are thousands of teachers just like him out there, teaching each day without recognition. MCourt puts off a humble air, but as I was reading it, I began to think McCourt doesn't even believe in and value himself, so how do I as the reader develop an appreciation for him?

This is not the book to read if you are looking for a light, feel good education story. I would not recommend it for new teachers or teachers contemplating their place in the profession. Frank McCourt successfully reminds us just how messed up the US educational system can be and just how much a teacher has to defend himself to reach his students. He did reach his students and for that I commend him. It's difficult for me, however, as a teacher, to read about his stumbling path he took to get there.

There are more enlightening educational memoirs available. As for McCourt, stick with "Angela's Ashes" or "'Tis".

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Tara,
I thoroughly enjoyed having you in this class. Thank you for all of your support, participation and great writing! I'm so happy you submitted a piece - good luck. I'm sending your final place piece through CCSD courier. Keep me posted on your teaching and writing! Miss ya.